User Support - NESS Application Portal and Security Services API (or NAP)
24 Hours per Day
7 Days per Week
The NESS (National Enterprise Support Service) Application Portal (NAP) is used to manage user application log on account information. Once an account exists in NAP, it can be added to one or more Dispatch Centers by a local account manager.
Requesting New Accounts
Potential users need to establish an account in NAP to work with Production or Practice ROSS. A unique e-mail address is needed for the user plus contact information of the person to verify the account (i.e. Dispatch Center Account Manager).
Click here to go to NAP Production: https://nap.nwcg.gov/NAP/
For step-by step instructions for requesting a new account, please see the Quick Reference Guide How to Request a NAP User Account.
To request a new ROSS account, on the upper right of the NAP log in screen, click the button.
For emergency account requests, Account Managers can call the ROSS Helpdesk at 866-224-7677.
After submitting an account request, the user will receive an e-mail with a temporary password and another with their user name.
The user should log on to NAP using the account information received through e-mail. As soon as the user logs on, they will be prompted to reset their temporary password.
The password rules follow:
NAP Password Policy
- Minimum Length = 12 characters.
- Maximum Length = 32 characters.
- Must contain at least one upper case alpha character (A-Z).
- Must contain at least one lower case alpha character (a-z).
- Must contain at least one digit (0 - 9).
- Must contain at least one special character !@#$%^* (Do not use< > or &)
- Twenty-four unique new passwords must be created before an old password may be reused.
- Standard Account Passwords expire after 60 days.
- Privileged Account Passwords expire after 30 days.
- "Password will expire in X days" warning is displayed for the 10 days prior to expiration.
- Accounts are locked after 5 failed login attempts per session. There will be a 15 minute lockout before the user may attempt to log on again.
- Users must establish security challenge questions by using the steps below.
Rules of Behavior
Following the creation of a new NAP account, the first time a user logs into NAP they will be prompted to accept the Rules of Behavior. Users must accept the rules of behavior to access ROSS.
Security Profile (Challenge Questions)
Users must take the following action their first time logging into NAP as the local dispatch offices can no longer reset passwords and establishing security questions in NAP (Security Profile) will allow the user to reset a forgotten password.
- Click on the person shaped icon on the left of the screen. This will take you to your User Account Page.
- The user account should list your name and your organizational unit. At the upper right of this screen is a button labeled , click on this and it will take you to your challenge questions. Provide answers to three questions and then hit save. When this is completed, you may return to the User Account Page and will be able to change your password from there.
- This action will allow you to reset an expired or forgotten password without contacting the helpdesk.
Users may set or reset their security profile challenge questions any time they are logged into NAP.
Quick Tip Password Reset:
When users log on using a temporary password, they must change it: How to Reset your Temporary Password Quick Reference Card
If you have set up your email address and challenge questions in the NAP, you can reset your password from the log in screen of the NAP.
To request a temporary password, click on the ? next to Enter Password.